Friday, March 3, 2017

Paeroa - Coromandel - Auckland

Recently I had been in two minds about how I should get to Auckland. I had spoken to another rider in Taupo who indicated that there was a ferry from Coromandel town to Auckland, and that you could catch that ferry to Auckland, change ferries for one to the north, and get away from the city with minimal stuffing about.

The idea was appealing but the timing based on the ferry timetable just didn't seem right for me.
After a bit more time and analyzing where my nightly riding destinations would be, it seemed that regardless of whether I rode in from the southern suburbs or used the ferry I'd be needing accommodation in the CBD the same night - Saturday. If that was the case then my preference was to go via Coromandel, one part of NZ that I had not seen in the years I lived here. So the plan was to ride from Paeroa to Coromandel town Friday, spend an afternoon and a full day in - and around - Coromandel before taking the ferry to Auckland on Saturday evening. As it turned out the ferry was booked out for Saturday and Sunday, didn't run Monday but had space for me on the Friday night late sailing.  The bike ride would be just over 80km from Paeroa to Coromandel, 60km of flat then 20km which included a few heavy climbs, I should arrive by mid afternoon. I'd get to see the west coast of the peninsula as I ride, get a chance for a brief look around the town of Coromandel, eat, then ride back down the road to where the ferry departs ready for 8:45 departure. I'd need late entry accommodation in Auckland CBD and this and the ferry booking were done through the info centre at Thames.

As I write this I'm sitting on that ferry, Auckland bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment