Thursday, March 2, 2017

Turangi - Taupo - Rotorua

From Turangi to Taupo meant a short day of 50km, riding around the side of the lake, with just one significant climb. The ride was pretty event less aside from re-enforcing my hate of the current road making methodology. I hate sort of hoped the rough surface used on new parts of the desert rd were ice related and wouldn't be used elsewhere but no, it's common everywhere I've been in central north island.

Once in Rotorua I check in to another "Kiwi Holiday Park" and it was Sijmons a contrast to the Turangi one. I would recommend the Taupo Kiwi Holiday Park. The afternoon is spent primarily catching up with things to be done, shower, shave (once every week or three), clothes washing etc.
One criticism I do have is not related to that location but common in most places I've been. They typically have a door and a some also have a small window. They are hot and stuffy unless you leave the door (& window) open, and this leaves you vulnerable to flys, mozzies, and sand flies - they don't do "screens" in NZ. (My flat in Wellington when I lived there also had no screens).
Day two in Taupo I spend visiting Huka falls, eating lunch by the lake and relaxing. I'm not really sure of the relationship but as other places have "big something" Taupo has a big bike.
 
 

Leaving Taupo I head out on the Thermal Explorer Highway (AKA SH5). The most memorable thing about the trip being that from the Wai-o-Tapu Thermal area to Roturua is nearly all what I call "new seal" - because that's the sign they use when they lay it. That leg is pretty much all down hill but the road surface forces you to pedal for the bike to move. The other memorable thing for the day is Puncture No.1.
After visiting Wai-o-Tapu I return to my bike to find a flat rear tyre. When I find that pumping it up causes air to be expelled around the valve housing I pull off all the bags, invert the bike, remove the wheel and check the tube. I find it leaks at one of many pre-existing patches, so I set about changing the tube for a spare (then if possible I'll fix this one later.  As my spare also has multiple existing patche I decide I'll also buy a new tube in Rotorua).

All of this tyre changing activity is much to the delight of a Japanese tourist who smiles at me as he points his camera for shot - it's all happening on the lawn at the main entrance.
In Rotorua I check in to a holiday park, pitch the tent - between two others on the small triangle of grass they have you tent users then head into town for a new tube. As I lay out the tent I move it a little twice trying to get it central on one of the many Lumps in that green triangle. The ground already feels boggy and I don't want to be on a low point.

Rotorua tourist attractions include the obvious Thermal activity and the not so obvious destruction of their old growth forest 100+ years ago and the planting of Foreign Species, now a tourist drawcard.


No comments:

Post a Comment