Thursday, March 9, 2017

Whangarei - Ohaeawai - Kaitaia

Heading from the hostel to explore the town yesterday evening I did so in normal clothes (not cycling knicks). It was then that I became only too aware that the very unpleasant nappy rash (common for cycling especially in hot/sweaty climates) is so much worse with a seat that has collapsed in the middle leaving the seat nose in a very awkward position. I realised then that continuing on some very hilly roads in the most humid part of the country, with lots on rain expected, was not a good idea. Clearly the seat would rub against areas this rainy humid weather and pedaling action had inflamed and be excruciating, I had to buy another seat. I checked out where the bike shops were, one would be closed tomorrow, the other open at 8:30.
At 8 the next day I checked out of the backpackers, loaded the bike and headed off to the bike shop. As I waited for the doors to be opened I noticed a nice leather (brooks like) seat on a bike in the window. I has especially impressed with the $139 I read on the tag hanging on the seat. That's very good for a leather seat especially in a small town in Northland New Zealand. A replacement Brooks Flyer is going to cost $220-250 in either AU or NZ.
When the doors finally opened the salesman showed me their range, basically 2 seats in either Male or Female varieties @ $69 ea. I asked about the one in the window and was told "only if you by the bike". I said what about the price tag $139.  When I went to show him - it was $1139 and he always hangs the bike prices from the bikes seat.  Doh...
$69 later I had one of the two stock seats and used his pump to add air to my rear - it wasn't flat but it was low. A slow leak now?  I checked for any new glass etc in the tyre but found nothing. If it had gone down just that much overnight and possibly much of yesterday I wouldn't need to fix it now I could stop every few hours to check it or add air. I should ride now lest that new weather system beat me to my destination.
At 1150m ascent, the day was still quite hilly but not as bad as some just done. I had a light lunch in Kawakawa then continued hoping to ride on before my leg muscles had realised of stopped. ( I'm finding it's always hard restarting after lunch)
Note the crossways tear on top near the nose. That cause the centre to collapse. 
Typical road scene north of Whangarei 
In the south Pine Hedges, In the far north Bamboo
Discontinued manufacture Marathon XR, most upset it did this when there was still tread left
The day finished with a rise into Ohaeawai and my pub sat on the corner where I needed to turn right.
The room I had was a double with basin but shared showers, toilets and kitchenette. This would be home for the next day and a bit.
As time progressed the weather didn't seem to be turning, even overnight we didn't get the rain that we'd had other nights, so in the wee hours I decided the rest day (to avoid the rain) would be not only a waisted day but might put be in a worse position if the rain system arrives a day late. The rest day had to go, I would pack and leave early in an attempt to again beat the rain, this time to Kaitaia. Once sheltered in Kaitaia I could decide what the future would be.
I hadn't fixed the slow leak - I was leaving that for "something to do" on my rest day. I'd just have to check the tyre regularly. It had gone down completely overnight so a check every hour initially.
I packed whilst it was dark, ate breakfast in the hotel lobby - as the lounge with tables was locked, loaded up and left with lights flashing as tree outlines slowly became discernible about 7am. Sunrise would not be for a while yet. At 8am I checked the tyre, not too bad but I'll add s bit, then 10 minutes later a clicking noise. Speed related. I stopped found nothing started again then stopped for another look. What I found was a bubbled tyre, clearly the internal Kevlar strands had failed or been cut and the tube was forcing this weak point in the tower out in a bubble that was hitting a mudguard mount once each wheel rotation.
I came very close to not bringing my spare folding 35mm tyre. In fact I really only added it because I thought I might want to swap my front over to a slightly wider profile for Molesworth Station.  Now I was very glad I did. Finding the issue, removing the old tyre and tube and adding a new tyre new tube delayed me about 20 minutes. At least I wouldn't have to check on the hour any more, so that's a time saving.
The ascent for today 1300m broken basically into two climbs, one first thing in the morning, which i had done and one starting around the 50km mark of the 80km day.
The second climb was the INSERT NAME HERE gorge, many km of winding climb, where every turn looked like it wails be the second last.  Every corner you'd see what looked to be the top in just a couple of bends. The road had little traffic so the heavily cambered road was not so much of an issue, I could ride a uniform gradient by continually heading to the road centre on left bends and to the road edge on right bends. Finally a picnic area sign "400m on the left" it said,surely that has to at or very near the top.  There was a car parked opposite allowing others to pass and as the last car had just passed I said to the lady driver "is that picnic point at the top?" It took a moment for both the question, and the reason for asking, to sink in. She then beamed a smile and said "yes it is".
The other side was more of the same windy road, but a breeze to coast down. The final 20km was back to flattish undulating territory with the occasional light misty rain - not substantial enough to make you uncomfortable, or to make your clothes much wetter than they already were, just enough to make you worried that it was going to suddenly turn into a downpour ( as it had down on numerous nights)
Into Kaitaia I passed the library and info centre, storing their existence for future need, then found the Main Street and the Mainstreet Backpackers that I had booked on the net about 4am, when I decided I'd skip the rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment