Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sofia Bulgaria

I remember when I was planning this trip, looking at Google maps and seeing that there was virtually no info on them.  I went scouring the web for maps and found a ripper of sofia.   But it seemed soooo... far away.  Both in distance, time and culture.   But here I am , in Sofia,  trying to learn that alphabet..
 
There's new pics uploaded and the post Hungary photos have now been moved to their correct location of a new sub album.
 
Wow, towards Turkey after this  (How hot is that going to be if its high 30's here).   I've never had a planned route for Turkey until today.  I met a couple of truckies that didnt know English, and my Turkish is as good as my Serbian (and Croation and Hungarian...)  But we communicated heaps for about an hour and shared Chi, a good drink this hot weather.
 
I stopped to buy a mellon.  He refued money and kept insisting I took 2.   I told him i didnt have room for 2.   (I took two.)  Serbian Hospitality 1, free food, and he wouldnt let me go with 1
 
The family Bozickovic, local farmers, growing .... mellons.  I stayed for a couple of hours sharing their hospitality, shade, sparkling water (because I dont drink beer) and the local delicacy Shunka.   Katerina (in Blue and Pink) is co-author of ISBN 978-86-85709-05-0.  And I have a signed copy.  Serbian Hospitality 2, I didn't need to cook that night
Oops,  Can I give you guys a hand to lift that trailer around ready to reload   Aussie Hospitality, Maybe I can help them..
 
Sometimes clothes need repair, and finding someone with a machine that does Zig Zag can be a bit difficult.  but if yo happen to be near Mladenovac in Serbia dont despair.  If you look hard enough and ask the right people...  and gratis :-)  Serbian Hospitality 3, clothing repairs, gratis
 
You ask if they have a chain stretch testing jig and they service the bike - Gratis.     Bratislav from Planetbike in Nis cleaning the chain.    www.planetbike.co.yu  Serbian Hospitality 4, bike service, gratis
 
Specky  The road above Nis
 
Two turkish truckies - Ismet and Jamal - on the Istanbul to London run.  We had no common language but exchanged a heap of info in our time together - beside the road a few km into Bulgaria.   I now have my Turkish route sorted.  Turkish truckies and route planners, Ismet and Jamal
 



No comments:

Post a Comment