Saturday, June 23, 2007

Serbia, Belgrade

I've finally moved on and am now in Belgrade after about a week in Budapest waiting for my old knees to feel normal again.  Yes, after 3 months and 6000km I finally had a recurrance of some of my old knee issues but am back on the road and feeling good again.   I had always been aware and prepared for some times that I may need to stay put for a week for my knees, and that was one of the things that meant a long trip might be possible where a short trip during annual leave would not.  My stay in Budapest was 6 days in 3 locations, 2 days in an inner city hostel, 2 days in a rather dodgy student accomodation place - but i had a room of my own, as long as i didnt mind having no door on the shower or toilet.  the final 2 days was in the home of a local, Ferenc, hopefully the power is back on again now... 

Ferencs Place in Budapest

It was nice to have a place to call home even if needed to use my torch as in the tent - and candles.  Being summer light isn't really a problem anyway.

I'm glad I did a bit of a detour to the National Park near the Hungary/Crotia border as it meant that I went from Hungary to Croatia then Serbia, instead of what I'd originally planned crossing direct from Hungary to Serbia.  It was worth it to see the difference a border can make.  Croatia being the better-off cousin of Serbia.

I feel for the Serbs that I've met,  they have been wonderful people, sharing with me or giving away what they had.  And asking, "What do they say in Australia about Serbs"  or "What they say on the BBC isn't true" 

Serb friends

and the mellon salesman

From Belgrade I'll be heading south east towards Nis.  I'm hoping my Serbia map is more accurate than it has been so far.  Quite a few of the roads I had planned to take (to go close  to the motorway on small roads to get to Belgrade didn't exist, which meant that I either did large detours or went on horrid farm tracks for many km between towns.  (and I cant check on Google maps because google maps has no roads in Serbia at all - and with no roads to reference the satelite photos are not that much use.)    I took a dive on one of the tracks the other day. The bike has quite a bit of momentum when loaded, so once i got myself into trouble it kept going. (that's two for those that are counting) No real damage to me or essential gear, but I did find today that one of my 2 SD flash cards for the camera doesnt work, and it was the one that was in the pocket of the camera case on my belt - and took the landing (the camera and the card that was in it are OK though, thanks Canon) (images already cut to disk.. Phew)

I'm not sure when the next update will be as I normally do them from major centres at internet cafes, the next major places are Nis in only a few days then Sofia in Bulgaria (?)

Thats it for now

Jeff

Sorry for the links rather than HTML thimbs, only lowsy browser for composing.
--
www.whereonearthisjeff.com


No comments:

Post a Comment