Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thailand - Phitsanulok

Happy New year to all, from Phitsanulok in Thailand.
I had a very quick trip to Australia from Bangkok arriving to Melbourne Airport on Christmas day.  After being picked up by my sister Lyn, the 3 "kids" headed around to surprise the parents.  And yes they were surprised...  Dads 80th Birthday is Boxing day - so arriving for 3 days meant I got Christmas and his Birthday plus one more before I had to leave ( lest QBE void the rest of my insurance policy. )  QBE very "nicely" allowed me 3 days when normally they'd cancel the policy as soon as I arrived in Melbourne.  Fortunately I'd planned it before I left, so I insisted before I'd open the policy.
Christmas Day 2007 the NC & FJ James and family  Mum, Dad & the kids Christmas Day
Lyn, Dad, Mum, Me and Wendy
The 80th Birthday was a celebration at "The Cuckoo" restaurant in the Dandenong Ranges.  For those not familiar, it is a Bavarian style place with matching floor show and fortunately, food not from Bavaria (who'd go there for Wurst?).
Table 1  Dad and Mum's Table
Table 2  The other Table
The embarassment  Now he's part of the floor show.
On my last day in Melbourne (before heading to the airport) I bought a house in Melbourne - somewhere to call home when I return - I sold the last one before I left in March.  The new one is in Croydon. It was shortlisted by my intrepid property hunter Wendy, deemed acceptable and now she gets to do all the work re the purchase - whilst I'm over here.  Aren't family great...
Since then I have flown back to Bangkok, picked up the bike and luggage from storage and caught the train to Chiang Mai in the north, and reassembled the bike ready to ride.  Because my India trip was not to my satisfaction, sickness, km travelled etc I decided to do an Indo-China loop through to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia before I head south.
I saw in the New Year in Chiang Mai then met up with another rider and we have spent the last few days riding together as far as Phitsanulok - one of the stops on my way to Laos.
Tuk tuk to the train station Bangkok
Me in the train
Chiang Mai
Wat Lok Molee
New Years Eve in Chiang Mai - hot air lanterns
Thai Cookery School
Photos of the trip from Chiang Mai to Laos will have to wait till I get to Vientiane.
Sorry about the length of the update but I've got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment