Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ditching the bike for 3 weeks - Trekking Annapurna Circuit

My India Visa has now been issued, so I'm free to leave Kathmandu and head to India, but first to see a little bit of the country.
 
As I have for many years had dicky knees, I dont want to do anything too testing for them and ruin the rest of the bike trip so I've opted for Annapurna circuit.  It's about 3 weeks of trekking but everybody tells me its not that hard - and there are lots of "oldies" here doing it. 
 
So dont expect any updates or pictures in the next few weeks.
 
Bye for now - and a few more pics
 
Theres a couple of 2004 shots amonst the following.  The last time I was in Kathmandu I was stuck in a hotel for 5 days until I managed to book a flight to Bangkok - stuck in the hotel day and night because riots had occured following the killing of 12 Nepalise hostages in Iraq.   Buildings of businesses from the middle east were torched and youths set tyres alight on many street corners. 
 
 
Jeff
 
Weddings in every country  Weddings everywhere
 
Here you can just see the flames from burning tyres on a street corner we had just crossed - whilst heading out for a walk & morning tea.  2004  Last time I took a photo here (2004)the shutters on all the shops were closed and there were tyres burning on the street corner, and a day & night curfew was about to come into effect.  The same street 2007
 
The Office of Qatar Airlines, targeted by protesters the day before.  Many businesses with links to the Middle East were targetted, including Airlines, Media & Contract Labour companies.  2004 Last time I was here (2004) the building on the left was a burning/burnt shell of Qatar airlines.  Torched by demonstrators along with other middle eastern businesses.  This time I flew in on a Qatar flight.  see also Nepal photos in the China 2004 trip album.   The same building 2007

Durbar square  Durbar Square
 
 Holy men


No comments:

Post a Comment