Friday, September 14, 2007

Sanandaj (Kurdistan) Iran

Greetings from Sanandaj!

Iran and more particularly Kurdistan has continued to be a wonderful experience. I went to my first Kurdish wedding the other day - very colourful !!!
Of course this was followed up by being guest of honour at a post wedding dinner - I'm slowly getting used to the fact that I "DO NOT" stand when people - of more importance than me - walk into the room - because - well - there is no one of more importance than me... I'm the guest of honour.
 

I'm also having to come to grips with the guys eating in the main room with style and then what is left over being wrapped up in the tablecloth (if you can call it that) and carried back to the kitchen where it is spread out on the kitchen floor for the ladies to eat the leftovers. You sit there wanting to eat all together and with equal status but then remembering that "cultural differences" is why you travel in the first place. - It seems so degrading from our western perspective but the women that have been doing the work seem to be very content and really wanting to please. The smiles I get when I go to thank them are incredible - I wish I could capture that somehow.

Morning in Mahabad - Petrol in Bukan
 
Lunch by the roadside - Dinner in Bukan as guest of honour (again)
 
The road ahead -  A big down approaching Iranshah - Iranshah to Divanderreh "flat - but hardly"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment