Monday, July 23, 2007

Merzifon Turkey

Oops is it that long since I sent an update...  agaın...
 
I spent longer than I wanted to in Istanbul waiting for word on my Iran Visa.
 
In the end I've given up on the application I submitted via iranvisa.com.  Although the embassy in Sofia insisted that I needed an invitation, the consulate in Istanbul has no such requirement, so in Istanbul you can just apply normally.  So I have applied directly in Istanbul for a visa which I will hopefully pick up in Erzurum closer to the Iran border when I get there.  (if its approved)
 
Whilst in Istanbul I ran into quite a few cyclists doing similar types of trips.  It really is THE central meeting place where all those heading east or west transit.    Some say "All roads lead to Rome" - but I know differently.
 
I said goodbye to Olivier whilst there, and spent a bit of time with Roli from Switzerland.  Roli has a similar route planned to myself - at least as far as Thailand so we intend to keep track of each other from time to time.   (he then heads through Indo-China, China and Russia to get home.)
 
I'm trying to arrange some new tyres to be sent to Erzurum from a place ın Istanbul that has exactly what I want  (Schwable Marathon XR)- but for different size wheels.   If that doesn't work life will get interesting.   I'm still awaiting any email response from Sacit...  Today I'll try the phone - but he's the only one that speaks English at "Asli Bisiklet" so a phone call could be interesting.   I normally communicate with hands and maybe a pen.
 
I'm now in the middle of Turkey in Merzifon - right on the central fold of my map.  I'm actually going a little too fast, so I need to slow down a bit.   I might need to do what I did in Europe and detour to other places to fıll in time.   So I'm now thinking of heading along the Black Sea coast for a couple of days - and some ripper mountains to & from.   (I've come from Istanbul to here in a week and still have a month before I can enter Iran on my new Visa appliction date of the 25th August.)
 
I've just updated the map and photos so there should be stuff to look at by visiting www.whereonearthisjeff.com
 
 
Outsıde the blue mosque - Fortune telling rabbits.  He swears it works but I have my doubts.   Fortune telling rabbits - He says it's faır dinkum - outside the Blue Mosque
 
 near my hotel in Istanbul.
 
Guess what, its electıon tıme.  Here two partıes compete for flag space.  Election fever in Istanbul.
 
farewell Olivier, Hello Roli (swıss)  Olivier (France),  Jeff (Australia) & Roli (Switzerland) - All heading east
 
for those that know Victoria St Richmond  -  I guess this is Thy Thy 3  For those that know Victoria St Richmond Vic Aus - I guess this one ıs "3"
 
The view from the Palace  Another view of Istanbul - from the Palace
 
Ayasofıa   Ayasofia

On the road out of Istanbul - heading east once more  leaving Istanbul
 
The temperature is much better at this time  Avoiding some of the heat in the early morning
 
Aaah, Bolu Daği, near the top  Bolu Daği - I must check out the western approach on Google Earth sometime
 
more free meals and accomodatıon - Turkish Style .  I had actually already eaten my dinner before I was invited ın many hours earlier.  free board and lodging - thankyou!!
 
A typical scene,  but the photo's never show the heights properly  more hills
 
Every body workıng ın thıs famıly - Even the visiting Aussie cyclıst gets a pitch fork full onto the cart.  A whole family at work
 
pilgramage to Istanbul.   (Haag after that I'm not sure).  I got a great welcome and many blessıngs from the man on the left.  I'd just riden about 5 or 6 days from Istanbul - these guys are walking there. 
 
More Landscape  a typical side road
 
Rice Paddies etc  Rice paddies in the area near Hacihamza
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment