Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Into Germany with a new web portal.

Thanks, to all those that responded with contacts or suggestions regarding the replacement tent fly, I have been told that I can expect it to be in Bückeburg, Germany waiting for me in only a couple of days from now.

It looks like it is time for the new fly too.  After 6 weeks of blue skies Europe has decided to change its weather pattern to something more normal.  The next 3 or 4 daus are all forcast for rain - and it has been raining reasonably lightly today whislt I have been warm and dry in Wuppertal with René and Silvia (whom I met in St Etienne, France)

Tomorrow night I'll find out just how important that seam seal tape is and how much water gets through when there is none left.  (But at least they are replaceing without any hassle)


I have today ordered some replacement parts for my MSR Whisperlite stove, to replace the temporary fix I did.  (which works well but does lose a little fuel out the bottom of the priming cup when starting it up - so it needs to be on bear ground not a flamable surface).  They tell me that these parts should be waiting, in Bückeburg tomorrow too (Although I wont be there for a few days yet)

fixed with a trip to a mechanic, a wrecker & the drinks section of the supermarket My Fix
 
I had a wonderful few days with Sue & Pierre, Latitia & Coralie  (I hope i got that spelling right because I have already posted back to Aus the book where I wrote it down) including an unexpected extra day with a broken tooth, patched before I left Brussels (Grez-Doiceau) - it hasn't slowed  or decreased my eating at all.

Since then I have explored a little further south and found the industrial heartland of Belgium, around Leige, although the central city and river banks are really spectacular there. (see photos)

Liege Leige

From there it was up across the German border into Aachen, Köln and Wuppertal, where I have spent two nights enjoying the hospitality of René and Silvia, Sarah & Tim.

From here I leave to head through the central north of Germany to pick up my tent and stove parts in Bückeberg, from the house of a  friend of Grant & Wendy Nichol (one of their other volunteer families from Zimbabwe back when they lived there in 1995/1996) then on towards Berlin.

Another special thankyou here to Matt (T) & Dave at Haliplex who have got my new web presence happening.  You can get access to my Photos, Group mailings, Email Group Subscription and Map at either the old addresses or from www.whereonearthisjeff.com
Just one easy to remember URL for everything now.

From the new portal webpage www.whereonearthisjeff.com you can see my progress using google maps.   Zoom in or out as far as you like and see my route on either maps or satellite/aerial photographs or both. 

Quite a few people have commented about camping spots and how I go about finding them, where I camp etc.    If you are at all interested in this go to the google map, zoom in on one of the green tent icons then select Hybid or Satellite.  All but a couple have a photo of my camp attached to the icon and you can see in the satelite photo the exact patch of forest, how big it is and what is around it.   At this stage the end points for each line (each days ride) are as accurate as I can possibly make them (zoomed right in), only the first couple of days have actual route shown in great detail when zoomed in.  This probably wont change in a hurry but I'll try to add a few extra points to assist in route identification as I do new updates.

If you haven't seen Matt's handy work check out my new webpage here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment