Monday, April 30, 2007

UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Belgium

Well I did as I said I might and caught a ferry from Calais to Dover, but I only lasted 1 night in the UK before getting homesick for France.  After arriving at Dover about 6:00pm I departed again about 9:30 the following day. Don't ask for a reason there isn't one, just a whole lot if little things that made me want to go back.  I had been travelling cheap in France camping out, buying ingredients & self catering all meals.  The UK bit was unplanned (even more unplanned than the rest of the trip) and I was going to be without camping & cooking gear and paying for everything, it also included a train journey that was going to rather expensive to see some people that I wasn't able to contact.  I decided that cheap and friendly in France was more inviting and the return ferry fare was cheap.
After heading back to Calais I went up the coast, crossed Belgium and headed into Holland, where I caught another ferry from Breskens to Vlissingen.  Then back around to Belgium for some more experience of a temporary home and real meals.  In Antwerpen I stayed with Sven & Crista a couple I met on my Tibet trip a couple of years ago, and I'm writing this from the home of Sue Gorie who some of you will know from many years ago in Ringwood, and now lives out of Brussels.  Of the only contacts that I knew I had before I left Aus, I've visited them on consecutive nights.
I've posted some more photos today, ones from Villers-Bretonneux ANZAC service through to my first crossing of the border of France & Belgium.



 


1 .Christophe at home in Paris
2. Me on the Eiffel
3. Poppie
4. He stood perfectly still and had thousands of photos taken
5. A bottle cap but it works (for those that know their MSR's)
6. The Somme downstream
So far
Total distance:  approx 2500km since Barcelona
Punctures: Nil
Bike breakdowns: Nil
Falls: 1: yep, no damage other than pride, 2 days ago, check out the stinging nettle photo on Page 1  of the Benelux photo album
Jeff




--
www.whereonearthisjeff.com

No comments:

Post a Comment