Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Paris and Beyond

Well, here I am in Boulogne, France. Been to Paris, done the tower,
the Champs, Notre Dame, and of course got the photo of the fully laden
bike in front of said Eiffel Tower.
And just for the experience been told off by the police for taking my
bike to the centre of the round-about containing the Arc de Triumphe.

I had a wonderful couple of days in Paris, did a lap of circuit used
at the end of the last stage of Le Tour de France. Still debating who
won... My local guide Christophe or myself. Have been staying here
with him - right in Paris CBD - after meeting in a tiny town where i
was eating lunch - before I hit the outer suburbs. So I've had a
personal guide in Christophe & personal chef in Veronique, sure beats
billy pasta.

Paris was a little rushed as a check on the web revealed that my
intended timetable of Villers-Bretonneux for April 25th would put me
there 4 days too late.

Since Paris I've been to The Somme ANZAC day commemorations at
Villers-Bretonneux, (April21st) (don't know if I made it into any
channel 7 news footage). A little bit special for me as my Grandfather
was here in 1916 in the first AIF until being transferred after being
injured in action, and living his remaining years with the shrapnel to
prove it..

From here its up to Calais and a possible UK holiday for a week.
Cheating with only two Panniers and no camping gear, and using public
transport - I never said I'd do it all on bike. Then back to the
original load and plan of Belgium, Germany and beyond.

I've posted photos as far as Paris in my photo gallery, so if you
haven't seen those they're waiting for you at the normal place
www.whereonearthisjeff.com

The legs are doing pretty well, no knee issues as yet, which is pretty
good since I'm 2000km into the trip. I had a bad right shin for a
couple of weeks but that too seems to have passed. The suntan's doing
well, especially the legs and face.

I'dheard all the stories of the arrogant, unhelpfull French, and I did
find her in the hostel in Lyon. Hard to believe that so many other
tourists have met that same girl. The french for me have been
marvelous. And yes it has mostly been tiny ville's, but the reputation
of Parisians was shattered before I even got there with my first ever
home stay with Christophe & Veronique.

Got to free up this PC for some others. Please excuse any missing
spaces as this Mac doesn't have a working spacebar.

Jeff

PS. pasting spaces is very tedious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment